|Ard Caddach the Despot of Markarth|
Caddach of the Blackdrakes Clan (also known as the Despot of Markarth) is an infamous Reachman who ruled the eastern part of the Reach as an independent nation during the Skyrim Schism in the mid-Second Era.[UOL 1] The Despot was acquainted with the Order of the Black Worm, the necromancer Javad Tharn, and the cult's leader, Mannimarco.
After the fall of the Longhouse Emperors in 2E 577, a great number of Reachmen departed Cyrodiil to invade the holds of Western Skyrim. High King Svargrim of Solitude drove the Reachmen back, and continued to guard his kingdom against the Despot of Markarth's forces until at least 2E 582.
In 2E 578, Flaccus Terentius took a caravan to Wrothgar, which briefly visited Murtag Stronghold before being set upon by Reachmen, forcing the survivors to flee towards Orsinium and abandon Terentius to the raiders. In return for a promise to paint the Despot of Markarth, he was spared the fate of his fellow captives, who were released and hunted by the Reachmen to honor Hircine. Vanus Galerion subsequently raided the Dwemer ruins of Nchuand-Zel in pursuit of Mannimarco, where he swiftly killed Terentius' tormentors before teleporting them both safely away to Windhelm.
- The Pit Wolves were bred by the Reachmen as fierce pit fighters, and in order to make his guards more impressive, it is said the Tyrant of Markarth was the first to have Red Pits trained as mounts. Whether the "Tyrant of Markarth" is the same individual as the Despot is unknown.
- The Improved Emperor's Guide to Tamriel: Northern Bangkorai and the Mountains — Flaccus Terentius, 2E 581
- Pirate Queen of the Gold Coast — Midara Salviticus, Historian, University of Gwylim
- Meet the Character - High King Svargrim — Pjetr the Skald, of the Bards College
- Red Pit Wolf mount description
Note: the following references are not from official sources. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.