Successful Block: +2.5
The Block skill allows one to use shields to block any melee attack. Shields will not protect you from ranged attacks (either magical or otherwise). A successful block removes all damage from the attack.
Blocking in Morrowind is automatic. If you have a shield equipped, you will have a chance to block attacks without having to do anything. Blocking occurs only within an arc in front of the character (nominally from 90 degrees left of center to 30 degrees right of center, but the implementation of these angles is bugged). Block chance is capped between 10% and 50%. You cannot block without a shield. Using a 2-handed weapon or fighting hand-to-hand disables blocking unless your weapon/fists are sheathed.
The following races receive bonuses to their Block skill:
- +10 bonus: Orc
The following classes have Block as a Major skill:
The following classes have Block as a Minor skill:
The following factions include Block as one of their favored skills:
- Khargol gro-Boguk in the Vacant Tower in Dagon Fel (up to 82)
- Ulms Drathen at the Armigers Stronghold in Molag Mar, (up to 71)
See Block Trainers for the complete list.
- In addition to blocking attacks, shields have the highest potential for enchantment of any item type in the game.
- For example, a Daedric Tower Shield can be enchanted with a 15-point constant effect levitate enchantment. This is a significant enough magnitude to provide decently fast aerial movement, and precludes the need for recasting spells or drinking levitation potions, without having to worry about the effect running out.
- Although you cannot block with a shield while using a 2-handed weapon or during unarmed combat, as stated above, it will still confer any constant effect enchantments upon you if equipped.
- Unlike most other skills, Block increases faster as your skill level grows, as your chances of blocking become more frequent which more than negates the additional practice required at higher levels. This is because your chances of blocking an attack are never 100%, no matter how far you boost the skill, whereas other combat skills give you a 100% chance to hit by level 50.
This is a list of all base Shields.