|Daedric Artifact: Spellbreaker (00045f96)
|Tempering||Dwarven Metal Ingot||None†|
Spellbreaker is one of the most ancient relics of Tamriel. Aside from its historic importance dating from the Battle of Rourken-Shalidor, the Spellbreaker protects its wielder almost completely from any spellcaster. It is said that the Breaker still searches for its original owner, and will not remain the property of any one else for long. For most, possessing Spellbreaker for any time is power enough.
The shield creates a Ward when actively blocking that functions identically to any Ward spell found in the school of Restoration. It negates up to 50 points of magical damage, be it inflicted instantly or cumulatively over time (being subjected to a spell like Frostbite or Flames will eventually break the Ward). The Ward is reset every time the shield is raised, and the shield doesn't need to be recharged with Soul Gems. It can be improved with dwarven metal ingots.
- Spellbreaker has made multiple appearances throughout the series; for more information, see the lore article.
- When walking around with this shield equipped, some NPCs will comment on it. Guards will normally say "Your shield... Dwarf-make, is it not? But yet it seems so much... more".
- When attempting to block spells that are more powerful than the shield's Ward can withstand, the Ward will break, and the player will stagger. As such, use with caution against very high-level mages.
- The Ward appears to be of particular use against Dragon Breath attacks - holding it up fully deflects the breath of even a Legendary Dragon without buckling.[verification needed — see ]
- The Shield will level Blocking normally, but has no effect on leveling Restoration.
- This shield can be very helpful to mages, as shields do not negate the Alteration perk Mage Armor.
- During the First Lessons at the College of Winterhold, Tolfdir will accept a block using the Spellbreaker as though you are using a ward.
- Spellbreaker's ward benefits from both the Ward Absorb perk and Ahzidal's Gauntlets, both of which allow your wards to absorb a portion of the magicka cost of the spell that hits the ward.
- The Elemental Protection perk does not affect the strength of Spellbreaker's ward.
- Myrwatch's galleryCC contains a special holder for this item.