Cliff Racers are large flying creatures found throughout Morrowind, and are related to Cliff Striders and Cliff Darters. They are very aggressive and will attack anyone in sight. Cliff Racers have good vision range, and will often detect and follow travelers without being noticed. This can result in swarms of them descending upon the unwary adventurer. They migrated to the island of Vvardenfell from parts unknown where, thanks to their numbers, they overwhelmed the dragon population that lived there and drove them out.[UOL 1] Due to their pest-like nature, Cliff Racers were eventually driven from Vvardenfell by Saint Jiub the Eradicator, although they have been known to exist in mainland Morrowind well into the Fourth Era.
- In the mid-Second Era, one Thetys Ramarys of Balmora, selectively bred the Cliff Strider for their wing strength, in the hopes that they would eventually be able to take flight and dominate Vvardenfell's skies. It is implied that this breeding program may have given rise to the Cliff Racers that plagued Vvardenfell in the Third Era. While a species of Cliff Racers already existed at that time, they were smaller and much less aggressive than those found in the Third Era.
- Jiub's dialogue in Dawnguard
- Mjoll the Lioness in Skyrim
- Generic Dialogue in Morrowind
- Racer Plumes in Morrowind
- Bitter Coast Cliff Strider pet description
Note: the following references are not from official sources. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.